Monday, November 2, 2009

Two feet, I have two feet!

Four weeks, 3 days and no more cast.
We visited the Dr. again who is very pleased with the progress so far. The wound is healing nicely and supposedly I have a good range of motion if he manipulates the foot.
However, the "honeymoon" is over and now comes a preview of the real 'work' ahead.
Because I'm ahead of where he thought I'd be he decided to skip the next step, a walking cast and told me I now have to start walking with a orthopedic boot.
Little bits at a time and weaning my self off crutches and the scooter.
Two feet on the floor, why does that scare me?

I got fitted for the boot, heavy warm thing by the way, and a night splint so that the foot stays flexed and protected at night.
I was assigned very simple exercises to do as well.

Once home I took my painkillers and rested before attempting my first steps on two feet.
After 8 steps, somewhat assisted by the crutches I called it a day.
I was sweating and breathing hard with the effort of this exercise. My calf cramped up and sent signals to STOP!!

There's a whole new set of rules to learn, balance the biggest one.

3 weeks to go to the next visit, he thinks I'll be walking fully on my own in the boot by 2 weeks.
His parting words? "we see these kinds of fast recoveries in a lot of athletes"
I gave myself a mental high-five for that.

For now the happy dance will have to wait, I do the walking thing again in a hour or so.

Late night update, I went to my friends store. Cooked dinner for kids and right now am resting with night cast on.
I'm pooped.

No comments:

Post a Comment