Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Yesterday. Sucked.

I woke up at 3 am with a throbbing foot, the ace wrap combined with the brick like texture of the splint were not agreeing with me.
I took an Aleve and went back to what passed for sleep.
By 6 am I was so happy the alarm went off.
This sense of 'happiness' was short lived however as the day progressed.
Without having asked for clear instructions as to what "putting some weight on" meant I was left to my own interpretation. I'm a very creative person but obviously that doesn't mesh with healing an achilles.
I have used the orthopedic boot before for various injuries on the right foot and honestly do not remember it being this darn hard to walk.
I started out just by standing on two feet supported by my scooter.
That felt "okay" but not exactly as I remembered standing was like.
I wanted to put more weight on my left leg, this is my strongest side after all, and this left me wobbly when I transferred weight to the right side.
Mid day I needed to get lunch and I had decided I'd use the scooter until the kitchen, around 15 feet away from the bedroom.
Then I'd use the crutches around the kitchen.

4 steps into this exercise I was sweating, panting and in tears with frustration.
I also had pain, pain not felt before.
Right then and there the person formerly know as patient Mari turned into a blubbering mess as I had a pity party for one.
I got my lunch, scootered back to bed and walloped until family came home.
My mood did not improve at all until after dinner. Resident Teen made a lasagna and it was good.
With food in me, and a glass of wine, I went back to the bedroom with ice and no more boot.
I talked a little to my friend Gail and in searching for a picture of the torture apparatus aka Das Boot found a website dedicated to people just like me!
I joined the site Achilles Blog  and after reading around felt boosted with a bit more confidence that it will get better.

Today is day 33 post-op and I did take it down a lot, I called the clinic to get SPECIFIC instructions as to what "some weight" means and also called my old Physical Therapist to see if I can come in for some Boot help.
I'm resting in the night splint, icing and doing my stretching exercises.

No comments:

Post a Comment