Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Week 6 since surgery.

Man, time flies when you are doing not much!
Six weeks have passed and the theme this week has been "one step at a time".
I still use the scooter but needed to get used to the crutches and partial weight bearing (PWB) because the scooter goes back on the 19th.
I detest the crutches, it's hot, it's awkward and downright hard!
After my meltdown Tuesday a week ago I have made progression though.
I'm moving more with the crutches, doing the heel-toe thing as directed.
Over the weekend I started 'standing' on two feet, at first all balanced to the left but gradually I've gotten to the point where I can almost stand on two feet equally.
Before surgery I would use the wii balance board and my center of gravity has always been a little to the left.
Over the last few days since I have made it a point to get up from the couch or bed using my two feet with the good foot leading.
It's been very satisfying to do so.

Friday was week six since surgery and the longest time I've spent in my boot.
The thing is heavy, hot and ungainly but it works.
Bolstered by a no pain wake-up I walked 4 steps in it with one crutch and later in the day pushing my scooter I made it across 6 feet towards the laundry room.
I feel so clutzy but it's a huge step forward.







Lovely, isn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment