Monday, November 9, 2009

ABC's of Healing, continued...



H is for Hurt or "How did you do that"?
I know I covered this letter last but more and more I get people to ask me how I got injured. And I have no clear and short answer.
From what I understand I had two different injuries that over time got worse. First as far as I can see was the achilles injury when while training for San Diego in 2007 I stepped off a ladder and felt a 'pop' followed by inability to put weight on my right foot.
Ice, rest and sheer luck prevented a further tear in the achilles. I also wasn't a runner, but more in the beginning stages of my half marathon training so not as unforgiving to my feet as in later years.
Somewhere in late 2007/early 2008 the other injury came up. It was a gradual over time thing where at first I did not tolerate shoes on the back of my heel. There was little or no bone growth happening at that time.
Then by February of 2008 I would be in pain walking barefoot. I went to a podiatrist who saw me and didn't diagnose me. I had physical therapy for a month or two and it helped but the pain got worse and worse.
In hindsight had he diagnosed me then with what we now know is Haglunds deformity and achilles damage I would have had one year less pain.
It took until May of 2009 to get a proper diagnosis after I sought a second opinion.
Now I know what has caused the deformity I'm realizing how lucky I've been the last 3 years. Not only did I train for 5 half marathons, a 10k and a 12k, I also finished each of my races with faster times.
I never had any pain when I was walking, the pain came as soon as my running shoes came off.
The combo of high arches and tight calves all contributed to the deformity but the saving grace was that I was training and moving around. I also stretched like I was told keeping my muscles somewhat loose.
In a sense you could say being in training for these races it gave me an edge over your average person who might not be stretching as much.




I is for Independence 
As soon as I had surgery I was at the 'mercy' of whoever could take me places.
So far my friends have been ANGELS and have put up with my whining begging politely asking for rides.
I find it hard to ask, but yet they are willing. I need to stop feeling guilty for asking though.
Small steps.

My kids are another chapter in this saga, they do not feel they "owe" me anything. You want water Mother? Whatever for?
So what you were in labor for 2 weeks and 4 days with each of us, we do not need to cater to your needs. Even if you spent a million hours at the ER with either one of us.
Get up and get your own water!
I'm making this up of course because my sweet angels are not at all this heartless, slow yes, heartless not.
So what that one Saturday they not only closed the door to the bedroom but never checked on me until 11 am?
During the week they know the drill in the morning, mom gets her water bottle filled, the newspaper, the lap top and a kiss. Then husband adds a sandwich and coffee to the mix and they are off for the day. The whole day!
I've always been a very 'do it myself' kind of person, it's a curse at times because I do not delegate well. But that's fine, I'm working on it.
After my last surgery, two disk repair in 1996, I had a hard time with recovery.
My husband had not only my care but also the care of my daughter who was 3 at the time.
I detested being dependent on him for every little thing. He worked whole days and it was decided Grandma and Grandpa could come and "help out" 2 weeks after my surgery.
So here came the 'help' from the Netherlands. Grandpa did not drive or speak English, Grandma instead of letting me rest needed my opinion and help with every thing.
I SWEAR my rapid healing had to do with their visit.
Exit in-laws after 4 weeks and enter *my* parents. By now I was 6 weeks post-op so I didn't need much help, my dad drove me places and my mom cooked.
I'm pretty sure this experience clouded my view of what my limits were in asking for help.
The past 5 weeks I've been pretty self sufficient, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of things I could and now can do for myself.
I shower, get dressed and make my own lunch. The scooter has definitely made a big difference with mobility.
Now that I moved to boot and crutches there is a little bit of a learning curve. I have left the frustration of last week behind me however and am getting pretty good at the partial weight baring with crutches.


No comments:

Post a Comment