Thursday, October 22, 2009

It's been a week.....

My mom used to say
"if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all".

Going in to this surgery and the recovery I knew full well it wasn't going to be fine all the time.
But I guess I was lulled into this false sense of well being by the lack of pain I experienced the first 10 days.
Sure getting up from either the couch or bed took some deliberation and showering was an hour task, but I pretty much took that as distractions to look forward to.
All in all watching Dutch TV online was fun, knitting broke the boredom and playing on Facebook wasn't that old, yet.
Then Friday brought a whole new set of rules so to speak.
It started with small twinges of sharp pain in my foot, evidence that the nerves were making themselves known.
Intermittently they would fire up to the brain, giving my right leg the sensation of goose bumps like ripples of nerve signals.
Odd feeling not altogether pleasant.
Taking painkillers for nerve pain, failure.

I had been in a somewhat 'serene' mood but by Friday and end of week 2 I got a bit pissy, grumpy and impatient.
Some of my friends and TEAM mates were in San Francisco preparing to walk/run the  Nike Woman's Marathon I so had wanted to do this year.
Hearing their stories really made me want to get out and do a race! Even if it was only a 5k, my right foot for a 5k!!!!

Never mind that the days crawled by, sometimes I'd look at the clock and it was only 9am, no sleeping in for me. I get up at 7 with the kids anyway.
Added to all the perceived misery I was in was the fact that my oldest dog Iris was failing.
She and I had spent all of my recovery days together in the bedroom.
She on her bed behind the baby gate and I 2 feet away watching her fight for air.
There were moments since that Friday that she slept very soundly and I'd check her breathing.
Sometimes I'd wake her up by accident and fiddle with her ears a bit.
She stopped eating on Sunday and would take little bits of chicken broth but she was exhausted.
On Wednesday husband and Iris took her final ride and we had to let her go.

Now I'm in a very quiet bedroom with the occasional snore or sigh from the other dogs.
Tomorrow marks week 3 and the removal of stitches.

I decided that I'm not going to heed my mom's saying, it's not all going to be pretty along the way in this recovery and the road towards my final goal.
I might as well apologize now for any whining that might go down in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment